Carotid Artery Stenting or CAS Has Undergone its Ups and Downs Since First Introduced in the Late 1980's
In its early years, CAS was greeted with skepticism, particularly by vascular surgeons. Despite this, CAS was increasingly embraced by interventional cardiologists as an extension of their technical skills in coronary stenting procedures.
- 2007 Carotid Screening Guidelines: Overvalued.
Medscape Published March 2007. View Here.
- Perspective Carotid Stenting and the History of Disruptive Technology in Vascular Surgery. Medscape Published May 7, 2008. View here.
- The Spinning of Crest: Medscape Published: June 14, 2010.View Here.
- Carotid Stenting: In my opinion, I discuss the risks and benefits of CAS. Medscape Published March 11, 2010. View here.
- Not so Fast! CAS vs. CEA? Medscape Published July 25, 2011 View Here.
- Treating Asyptomatic Carotid Stenosis Invasively? My Thoughts? Medscape Published August 4, 2011. View Here.
- Carotid Stents vs. Endarterectomy: Separate and Not Yet Equal. Medscape Published February 23, 2011. View Here.
- Asyptomatic Patients With CAS: Should We Intervene? Medscape Published September 18, 2013.
- New York Times: Can You Do Too Much to Prevent a Stroke? Currently, some experts say, far too many people who are free of symptoms that might herald a stroke are undergoing surgery to ream out carotid arteries that feed the brain, or are having stents inserted in these arteries, than is justified by available evidence.
- Critics say these invasive procedures on asymptomatic patients are unnecessary and create a risk of serious complications like heart attack or, ironically, stroke itself, even death, and drive up health care costs by billions of dollars a year. Published: October 15, 2012
- A Brighter Future for CAS? I Rendered My Opinion. It’s Up to You To Decide What’s Right for Your Patient. Medscape Published October 26, 2015. View Here.
- Outlook for an Upsurge In Carotid Stenting is Bright!
Published February 20, 2015 at the Sanctuary of Endovascular Therapy, Kiawah Island, SC. View Here.